(Make sure you stretch both sides! I like to do this routine twice on each side as I find myself a little looser after the first run through. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds. )
Stretching for the Splits: Quick Guide
I get a lot of asks about how to achieve a split, so I took a couple quick videos today to help out anyone who is working toward this goal! These are my favorite side splits stretches. Here are a few things to keep in mind when stretching for the splits:
- Warm up fully before beginning to stretch! This is important. Warm muscles are much looser and more pliable than cold ones, and much less prone to injury. It’s best to save the stretching for after your workout, or if you aren’t planning on working out, do 5-10 minutes of a full body cardio session that gets your heart rate up. Jumping jacks, kicks, jogging around, running up and down the stairs, dancing to a fast song or two… whatever gets your blood flowing. I find it helpful to do some squats, lunges, and high-knees before stretching my legs as well.
- Try to keep the hips squared when you stretch.This means that both your hips will be facing forward, your legs should be nearly in line with each other, the knee and foot of the back leg will be facing the floor, and your torso should not twist out to the side. Think of pulling the back leg forward and the front leg back. Whether you perform your split squared or turned out/open will depend on your sport/dance style and aesthetic preference, but when stretching always aim for squared hips as it allows a deeper stretch.
- Stretch to the point of discomfort, NOT PAIN. Don’t hurt yourself! A pulled muscle can set back all of your progress for weeks or months, so listen to your body!
- Don’t stretch every day. My general rule is that if my muscles feel fine, I will stretch 2 days in a row, but try to give yourself a break at least every few days and especially if your muscles are very sore. Just like strength training, your body needs time to repair any muscles damage. Stretching too much can actually inhibit your progress. Light stretching however is ok every day.
- Be patient! Splits don’t happen overnight. It may take some 4 weeks and others 4 months and others 4 years, but keep at it and you will see results :)
Of course there are many many more stretches that you can do to help achieve your splits, but these are the basics that will target the hamstrings and hip flexors for your split. Make sure to vary your routine and add new stretches every so often!
|—||(noun) This wonderful, untranslatable German word describes the feeling of homesickness for a far away land, a place you have never visited. Do not confuse this with the word, wanderlust; Fernweh is much more profound; it is the feeling of an unsatisfied urge to escape and discover new places, almost a sort of sadness. You miss a place you have never experienced, as opposed to lusting over it or desiring it like wanderlust. You are seeking freedom and self-discovery, but not a particular home. There are too many feelings wrapped up into this wonderful, little word. Remember, the world is your home! (via wordsnquotes)|
pizza and selenassss
My abs hurt in the best possible way right now. haha
But anyway, I had a pretty busy day today. I needed to go for my one year post op follow up for my eye surgery and I figured, if I need to take a day off of work, I was gonna make it count. So, I made appts with my dentist and regular optometrist. Both eye appts went fine, but the dentist, not so much. I figured it would be bad-ish, but not as bad as it ended up being. Apparently, I have a bunch of cavities. Some bigger than others, some you can’t even see cuz they’re in between my teeth. I didn’t even know that could happen. So, I got a list from the dentist of all the things to be fixed and how much each would cost. I don’t have insurance, so she said that for people in my position, she takes 30% off the price. I now have an appt to fix the 4 worst ones the day before I leave for Vegas and, even with the discount, it’s gonna cost like $470 to fix (not to mention the $150 I spent for the appt today). *sigh* Well, at least I can claim it on my taxes. On the bright side though, this is gonna make me take better care of my teeth and probably help me cut back on junk food. Which is good, since it’s 29 days til I leave for Vegas and I’m nowhere near as small as I’d like to be. But I’ve been putting forth a decent effort, I think. I’m gonna commit myself to going to the gym on like Mon, Wed, Fri, and then try to get there at least once on the weekend as well. It fuckin’ sucks cuz the gym is so packed after work, but I gotta do what I gotta do. And I’m really trying to eat more fruits and veg on a daily basis. And up my protein. But talk is cheap and any results will speak for themselves.
Well, that’s all for now. Gonna go watch hockey while I crochet. :)
I am fucking awesome, thank you
As a proud card carrying member of the Big Tittie Committee I can verify that these are all true.
yep, except I hate storing things in my cleavage.
Fact: do not store your phones in your bras. Some research came out saying that there were a lot of cases in women getting breast cancer in areas specifically where they continually stored their phones. Play it safe.
Really don’t have the money to spend on a new one, but I think I’ll just have to get it anyway. :/
Finally compiled enough pics to make another weight loss motivation collage (the one on the right). :)
Between thinking I should be eating mainly fruits and veg, or mainly protein. Between wanting to work out, and wanting to sleep. Between whether it’s worth it to lose weight now, cuz I only have a few years left before I start having kids and my body goes (back) to shit, or wanting to lose it so I can really enjoy the rest of my 20’s.
And whether I should wait til I’m 30 to have kids or just get knocked up tomorrow.